Warning message

The subscription service is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

The Perils of Taking Your Company Car Abroad

Driving abroad
Driving Abroad

One of the joys of owning a company car is the peace of mind that it gives you when travelling around on business or for pleasure trips. Serviced at regular intervals and kept in tip-top condition, taking your car abroad should be a joyful and stress-free experience.

Fast and reliable rail and ferry travel has opened up Europe, in particular, as a place that you can now relatively easily drive to when on business. Driving can also make holidays a wonderful and exciting adventure.

However, there are pitfalls; particularly if your company car is not actually owned by your company but leased from a specialist third party company. If that is the case, then you begin to enter a legal minefield, fraught with problems. This is because the car isn’t actually owned by you and technically, unless you can prove otherwise, you need to have informed the lease or hire company that you are taking your vehicle out of the country it was supplied in.

To drive your company car anywhere other than in the country in which it was leased or hired requires you to be in possession of a document supplied by the leasing company that permits you to do so. While that might sound quite onerous, the British Vehicle Renting and Leasing Association (BRVLA) have made this as streamlined as possible by introducing the VE103B form, which serves just that purpose. Specialist vehicle renting and leasing companies such as AutoPlan Fleetmaster Ltd, are well versed in the requirements of the form and can assist you in both obtaining it and filling it out. The form carries information similar to the DVLA’s form V5, which registers a vehicle, though it also includes contact details of the leasing company and the registered keeper of the vehicle, which should be you. The form will also carry details of its effective start date, which is the first day of your approved travel, and will state a period of validity. It is essential that you enter sufficient time on the form as were it to expire while you were still abroad, you would no longer be under its protection. The form can be used for a maximum period of twelve months, so ensure that you agree a suitably long period with your lease company to allow for changes to your business trip or holiday.

By not having either a VE103B or a formal letter allowing you to take your lease car abroad, you essentially nullify your insurance and risk having your car impounded. Contact your representative at AutoPlan Fleetmaster for help with the form. This will give you peace of mind on your trip abroad, and help you make the most of your company car.

Request a FleetMaster demo today